Introducing Kristin Hill Taylor



This month is National Adoption Awareness month and I cannot think of a more perfect time to introduce you to Kristin Hill Taylor: wife, mom, writer/blogger and lover of Jesus.  She has written a recently published e-book titled “Peace in the Process: How Adoption Built My Faith & My Family" which is available at a special price ($2.99) from Amazon (here) in honor of National Adoption Awareness month.  Kristin is sharing a part of her journey with us today: 


For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will — to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves. … In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, in order that we, who were the first to put our hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory. … When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession — to the praise of his glory.
(Ephesians 1:4-14)

I never thought to tell the receptionist we were in the process of adopting Cate when I made her appointment at the local health department to get her 4-month immunizations. While checking her in the morning of her appointment, I realized I didn’t have the necessary paperwork, most importantly the court order giving us guardianship until Cate’s adoption was finalized. Honestly, I never thought to bring it to prove Cate was my daughter even though she didn’t officially share my last name yet.

She had been my daughter since she was born, but in reality, well, at least from the government’s perspective, it wasn’t official. While the health department may be cheaper than the pediatrician’s office for immunizations with our health insurance, there’s a bit more red tape to maneuver without getting stuck. I reminded myself I was saving at least $100 – even though it required another appointment the following week with the proper paperwork.

We had to wait on the legal process before Cate could have our last name. I had to prove to the health department she was mine. The whole adoption process gives me perspective on how God adopts us.

Before I knew God, he chose me. Because he chose me, there is glorious grace poured into my everyday life and an inheritance prepared for me. Read Ephesians 1:11 from The Message: "It’s in Christ that we find out who we are and what we are living for. Long before we first heard of Christ and got our hopes up, he had his eye on us, had designs on us for glorious living, part of the overall purpose he is working out in everything and everyone.” Other translations of that verse say we were chosen (NIV), we are united with Christ (NLT), we were made a heritage (ASV), and we have obtained an inheritance (ESV).

We are family. I get that. I didn’t grow Cate in my womb, but we prepared for her and embraced her from the beginning. Greg and I named her and prayed for her before we held her in our arms. We’re grateful for Mandy, who chose life for her, and that God chose her for us.

Cate didn’t have to do anything to be our child. She’s named in our will and was called daughter long before the court recognized her new birth certificate. We chose her in the beginning and we have chosen her every day since. Likewise, God chose me in the beginning and still chooses me today – even when I stumble.

Jesus says people will know we are in his family by our love. Of course, sometimes I don’t do a good job of representing my eternal family name. But this truth is my foundation. And it’s why I was surprised when the health department wanted me to produce some piece of paper to prove Cate was my daughter.




Kristin Hill Taylor tells about the two adoption processes that followed a hard season of infertility in “Peace in the Process: How Adoption Built My Faith & My Family,” which is available at Amazon. She believes in taking road trips, living in community, and seeking God as the author of every story – many of which she shares at www.kristinhilltaylor.com. She lives in Murray, Kentucky, with her college sweetheart husband and their two kids.  







Share:

3 comments

  1. Thanks so much for having me, Mindy! I'm grateful for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristin and Mindy! I am the adoptive parent of two also, and I had no idea that this month was adoption awareness! Man, I am living in a cave or something?

    Our stories of family are so beautiful aren't they Kristin? Different from biological children only in the way they came to us. That's all. I can see why you didn't have your paperwork in hand, who would think you'd have to prove to anyone that she is yours?

    Congrats on your book, and your new blog-hop too. I saw the news at Beth's that you are taking over Three Word Wednesday. This is a wonderful time for you! Enjoy!
    Blessings,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to meet you, Kristin! I love your beautiful story and no doubt it will inspire so many others.. I have a brother who is adopted and it is one of the most wonderful blessings to our family. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete